Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

A Mandala for Roswell


I have been biding my time through my husband's journey through Adenocarcinoma (duodenal cancer) by crocheting like a madwoman. This is nothing new, I crochet like a madwoman most of the time, but this journey has ramped up the crocheting.

Most of the items I have made have been a Pay It Forward to the Pastoral Care center at Roswell Park Cancer Institute.

When we visited the Pre-Op center, one of the nurses gave me a "Pocket Prayer Shawl." It carried it in my pocket from that point on (early January) until, one day, I checked my pocket and every place else I could have put it and it was no where to be found. I had used it so many time just to touch and remember. I could have gone back to the Pastoral Care center and gotten another one, but it wouldn't be the same.

Instead, I started making items for the Pastoral Care Center that, hopefully, other people could use like I had used the "Pocket Prayer Shawl." I made 20 angels out of thread and clear glass balls (one day  will get that pattern posted), angel pins and cross bookmarks. With each stitch I felt better about what I was doing.

As a breather form these, I made a Mandala where I just sat down and crocheted. Now that it is done, back to the angels and crosses.





I wanted it to hang in a window but did not have a 17" or 18" hoop so I used clear millinery wire (placed in the brim of floppy/big brimmed hats to give them tructure), which worked GREAT. There is a little warp in one place but, in time, the wire will relax and it will lay flat. 




This pattern is available 
for $3.99
in my Craftsy Store,
All money 
goes directly to a no-kill maternity shelter 
here in Western New York 
or the Humane Society in my home town in Indiana.

2 comments:

  1. The Mandala is very pretty. I haven't worked with crochet thread in a long time, and I have recently been wanting to, oddly enough.. I know the feeling of wanting to crochet just to get your mind off what is going on. Sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks perfect to me........and lovely. I'm the same with my stitching, we all need a place where we can relax and enjoy ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post.