This shrug was made for my 14 mo old great niece, with X-stitches and ch 1 O's from her Aunt Paula.
Worsted weight Yarn Tapestry/Yarn Needle
Sample done in Vanna’s Choice Tangerine Mist Scissors
Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00MM
½” – 3/8” Buttons . . . at least 6 for a toddler, more or less depending on the size shrug you are making.
ABBREVIATIONS and STITCHES
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
shell - 7 dc in same st
sk – skip the number of sts given
st(s) – stitch(es)
X-st- dc in given st and then dc in the st before the given st
1. Pattern can be made with any size yarn/thread with corresponding hook
2. You will use measurements from the chart at the end of the pattern to make this shrug.
3. No Gauge needed. WHOOPEEEEEEEE ! ! ! ! !
4. Fill in this chart with the measurements you need (from the chart on this site) so you
have these measurements at hand before you begin your pattern.
A. ______ inches ACROSS BACK
B. ______ inches SLEEVE LENGTH TO UNDERARM
C. ______ inches SLEEVE LENGTH TO UNDERARM
D. _____ Total Inches (add A, B and C together)
5. _______ inches ARMHOLE DEPTH
Row 1: Make a chain the Total Inches in the NOTES (your count should be a multiple of 2 + 1), ch 1, sc in 2nd ch from gook and each ch across, ch 3, turn.
Row 2: Dc in the same st, *ch 1, sk 2, dc in the next st, (this dc is the beginning of the X-st . . . Row 2
continued in next picture.)
Row 3: Sc in same st and each st and ch1 across, ch 3, turn.
Row 4: Dc in next st, *ch 1, sk 2, X-st,* repeat from * to * across, dc in the last st and the ch 3, ch 2, turn.
Row 5: Sc in same st and each st and ch1 across, ch 3, turn.
Repeat Rows 4 & 5 until your width is as close to the Armhole Depth as possible.
BUTTON HOLE BAND: Ch 2, dc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each ch st across, 3 sc in end st, *shell in end of sc row, sc in end of next sc row,* repeat across “wrist,” 3 sc in corner, sc in each st to next corner, repeat from * to * across “wrist,” 2 sc in same st as 1st sc, fasten off.
1. Measure armhole depth from the “wrist” inward.
2. Place button on the inner edge of the shrug. Make sure you do not place it on the side with the dcs.
3. Place Button as close to the “wrist” as you like.
4. Add at least one button in the middle between these two buttons, more if needed for your sleeve length.